Tension Headache Treatment
What is it?
A tension headache is the most common type of headache. Generally a tension headache will cause mild to moderate pain typically on both sides of the head. Tension headaches are often described as a band cinching your skull and a dull ache in the back of your neck.
What causes a tension headache?
Tension headaches are caused by muscle contractions in the head and neck. Many different factors may trigger a tension headache and can includes:
- Staring at a computer screen for long hours
- Driving for long periods of time
- Cold temperatures
- Drinking alcohol
- Eye strain
- A cold, flu or sinus infection
- Poor posture
What are the symptoms of a tension headache?
Signs and symptoms of a tension headache may include:
- Dull, aching head pain
- Sensation of tightness or pressure across your forehead or on the sides and back of your head
- Tenderness on your scalp, neck and shoulder muscles
- Trouble concentrating
- Difficulty sleeping
Tension headache treatment
Treatment for easing your tension headache may include:
- Over-the-counter pain medications
- Applying a heating pad or ice pack to your head several times a day for five to ten minutes each time
- Taking a hot bath or shower to relax tense muscles
- Improving your posture
- Taking frequent breaks from your computer to prevent eye strain and sitting too long
- Stress management to teach you techniques to cope with stress and relieve tension
If tension headaches begin to affect your daily life, IMS Pain Management offers a variety of treatment options for you to find relief today. To schedule an appointment please visit IMS Pain Management online.